113 - Boardmanship, Part I
Steven Adams, Partner, Robbins Schwartz
This lively session provides commissioners with practical, real-world information to conduct safe, effective, lawful, and professional meetings. We will discuss specific, real-world public meeting issues, how rules were/were not applied, and what happened. Problems with public participation, Roberts Rules of Order, voting, the closing of meetings, and commissioners on cell phones will be explored. We will discuss essential tips for shorter, more effective, and enjoyable board meetings.
- Recognize potential board meeting problems before it’s too late.
- Implement procedures that promote efficient, professional, and lawful board meetings.
- Ensure equitable participation and avoid single commissioner dominance.
- Use the rules to accomplish the objectives.
- Avoid the legal and political risks of unlawful electronic communication.