113 – Boardmanship, Part 1: Essential Board Practices and New Electronic and Social Media Considerations
Steven Adams, Partner, Robbins Schwartz
Learn the fundamentals of being on an elected board and the latest developments in social media, virtual meetings, and electronic communication for commissioners. This session will cover Open Meetings Act and parliamentary essentials, typical board meeting practices, voting rules, and more, in the post-COVID world, from a 35-year veteran park district lawyer. Attendees will learn how the rules work, how much “procedure” is needed, and how to use the rules fairly to meet their needs. This session includes a discussion of the essential elements of your agency's board policy.
Learning Outcomes: Participants will be able to:
- Learn the key OMA and parliamentary rules, strategies and best practices for lawful and effective public meetings.
- Chair/actively participate in public meetings with clarity and confidence.
- Ensure equitable meeting participation by commissioners, staff and the public.
- Learn the latest rules and best practices concerning electronic communications and virtual meetings.
- Review and update their current board policies to ensure their board's compliance with ethical, up-to-date rules for board activity.